Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What's For Dinner?



I've been staying up late watching Man Vs. Wild, with Bear Grylls, on the Discovery Channel.

If you haven't yet seen this show, set your DVR immediately. Bear served in the British Special Forces and is the youngest Briton to climb Everest. He's also the new love of my life. I bet he drives a truck.

Basically, the Discovery Channel dumps ol' Bear off in some uninhabitable land (usually by parachute) to die. Instead, he demonstrates unbelievable survival skills and pops out - insert remote location here: Everglades, jungle, the outback, frozen tundra, etc. - alive, spirited and hilariously understated.

Oh, and on the way he eats snakes, raw fish, frogs, insects and animals. He once skinned a deer for shelter. I watched him drink his own urine in the outback and I still want to make out with him. The guy is a freakin' badass.

I've thought about our life together. He'll want to go be "adventurous" and I'll just want to sit on the balcony and watch traffic go by. He works out six days a week and will want me to join him, and I'll pass out at the gym from low blood sugar. Obviously it won't last long, but ooh-wee!

I would feel bad about having these romantic thoughts about Bear, except that the Tall Drink of Water wants to be Bear, so it kinda evens out.

Here's a highlights reel, but sadly, minus Bear's lovely accent.

4 comments:

Brian said...

This dude is like Rambo and MacGyver all wrapped up in one. I'd totally want to be him too except i'm not real big on decaying zebra carcas, although it probably tastes alot like chicken.

Anonymous said...

Gina - Sorry to tell you but Bear is my future husband. Don't you just love him!!!!!! -Mandy (Yvette's sister)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I got suckered into watching this the other night, too. I draw the line at eating sheep eyes, though... and I'm Polish. We eat everything.

Gina said...

Mandy, thems fightin' words!

Thankfully Bear is man enough to go around. We can share. :)