Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Happy Birthday Susie Daugherty



My mom turns 65 on Friday and she and my dad stopped by Wednesday night while on their way to Kentucky for her birthday.

My dad surprised her with a trip to Natural Bridge, which she loves because walking his her thing, particularly walking around wooded areas where after she's done she can eat at the park's pricey buffet. Except Wednesday morning she found out she has three broken toes. (Apparently all her walking and activities caused stress fractures, which led to broken toes. She's been hobbling around for two weeks.)

Anyway, she brought with her a rock garden that she got for $2 at a garage sale. But the little water pump wasn't working, so my dad spent most of the night taking it apart and trying to get it to work.

As we were all sitting around watching The Wonder Years, my dad would periodically look over at me and say, "Aren't you supposed to be studying? Where is your book? I don't want to have to tell people you flunked out."

I thought this was hilarious. And adorable.

I told my parents two weeks ago I was studying for the LSAT, which is partially true, in as much as "studying" consists of having the Kaplan study book from the library. But in my dad's mind, I've already taken the entrace exam, been accepted to law school and am in the midst of my second year.

After The Wonder Years he volunteered to put down the water pump propeller and do the dishes for me.

"You should be studying," he said. "Did you study today?"

I didn't study any, but I am now the proud of owner of a flowing rock garden from a garage sale.

No comments: