Thursday, July 12, 2007

Balcony Garden Center



I searched everywhere looking for another Wave Petunia basket to my liking, like this one. My mom and dad brought this one down as a housewarming gift a few weeks ago, and since there are two more hooks, I felt I should have two more hanging Wave Petunias.

Lowe's, Home Depot, Kroger, Meijer, Bigg's and the Hyde Park Garden Center felt otherwise. Everyone is sold out except for ugly red, whte and purples ones, and they'd look too severe next to my pink petunias, I think, so they're out.

So I put Susie Daugherty on the case knowing that if there is a Wave Petunia basket to be had in the cities of Marion, Gas City, Kokomo and perhaps even Muncie, it will be mine. Within hours of making the Petunia call to her, she called me back, Wave Petunias in hand. I'll be getting that basket when she and my dad come visit in a few weeks on their way to KY. (I think she only got one basket, though, but that's OK. I didn't specify a number.)

She also picked up some plastic cups and plates for me, apparently decorated with some neon and stripes, which should be fun. "For the balcony when you're friends come over," she said.



I may not have found any Petunias on my garden center trip but I did find this adorable tomato plant. It already has 16 little tomatoes growing on it, so my plan is to just sit back and reap the benefits of someone else's labor. Though right now finding a spot for it in the sun but where it's not too sunny on the balcony has been a challenge. I will fully monitor the sun's progression across the balcony this weekend for optimal placement.

I agonized over whether or not to buy MIracle Gro tomato food for it. But the box said "for quick, beautiful tomatoes" and that's what I'm all about, so I bought it. God knows what Home Depot put in the soil before I got it anyway.

I'm pretty excited. Fresh tomatoes. If anyone has any great recipes calling for fresh tomatoes, please send 'em my way.

No comments: