Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Good Luck Little Guy

I was walking through the main corridor of the hospital today and sitting on one of the couches lining the hallway was a little boy and his mom.

He was maybe 6 or 7 and had a blanket wrapped around his shoulders. The poor little guy was a ghastly shade of yellow. Nearly green. Obviously a very sick little boy. Cancer? Liver failure? God knows.

What was unusual about it is that I rarely see people sitting on those couches. And never do I see such sick patients there.

As I walked past the little boy laid his head against his mom's shoulder, and his mom, in turn, rested her head against his. They both looked... weary.

I didn't want to stare but it was such an affecting moment it was hard to turn away.

As I passed I watched a doctor coming toward us see them. He smiled at the mom and reverently tipped his head to her. I felt like we were thinking the same thing - a million blessings and a million thanks they have each other.

A few minutes later I walked past the couch again and they were still sitting there, still resting their heads on each other.

Man I hope that kid makes it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Acck. I tune into your blog on a rare quiet morning and you nearly make me cry?

Boo hoo. But now I'll send my good wishes to that anonymous little fella, too. Good luck, tiny pal.

:)