Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Cooking With Mark



All right, all right. I'll update my blog. Sheesh.

So... what's everyone been up to?

Me? Eh, not much, which is why I haven't updated, so BACK OFF, OK?!

Juuuust kidding.

Actually I've been up to plenty. I've been learning how to cook thanks to Mark Bittman's excellent book, How To Cook Everything. It's wonderful because it's a not a strict, mindless cookbook with endless ingredients in the recipes. It leaves plenty of room for experimentation but gives you the basics, which is what I desperately need. (I had to ask coworkers a few weeks ago how they sauté green beans.)

Since Mark came into my life, I've pressed, marinated and fried tofu. (See photo). Granted, this is not difficult considering tofu is already "cooked," but still, if you don't know how to make it taste good, you don't know how. Despite how "easy" it is.

I also made some delicious sautéed lemon chicken, have roasted sweet potatoes and am threatening to make my own (albeit simple) pasta sauce.

And I bought some oil, spices and a bag of flour. Apparently these are things most people normally have in their kitchens.

My favorite part of this cookbook is that I can take something I have already - egg noodles, for example - and Mark's index will direct me toward his favorite egg noodle recipes. I love this guy.

How To Cook Everything probably isn't right for experienced foodies like Jen, who can whip up fantastic things easily, but it's great for people like me. I was so lost in the baking aisle this weekend, unsure of the long row of grains and mixes, that I had to call my dad to ask what corn starch looks like. "Is it in a bag, like flour," I asked.

Turns out, No. Corn starch comes in a box.

This weekend Mark and I will make a delicious sounding creamy tofu that he swears will convert non-tofu eaters. Get ready for that Tall Drink of Water! Because despite how easy these recipes are, I still gag whenever I touch raw meat, which really hinders my cooking abilities. Though I am getting better.

I'd like to thank Mark for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, wedding planning without being threatened? Possible move to another apartment despite the fact that you hate moving? Cooking tofu and lemon chicken?

What have you done with the real Gina, Ms. I-don't-know-who-the-heck-you-are Blogger?

Kari said...

I feel a dinner party/Office night gathering happening in the near future!