Friday, May 18, 2007

I Admit

I thought the ballet was all tutus and tiaras. But tonight at Twyla Tharp, Plus, there was none of either.

There are two choreographers I can name. Twyla Tharp is one, Bob Fosse is the other. (Twyla was born in Portland, Indiana, about 45 miles east of Marion. I just found out this by Googling her. Portland must be very proud.)

The Tall Drink of Water suprised me with tickets, so off we went to the Aronoff Center. Twyla's piece, Baker's Dozen, was first, with music by Willie "The Lion" Smith. I think people should call me Gina "The Puma" Daugherty.

The dancers wore flowing white split skirts and white tights. The men wore all white faux tuxes for Baker's Dozen. There were three pieces total and none of it looked anything like what I thought ballet looked like.

Before I saw Bolero a few months ago, I thought the ballet (mostly the Nutcracker) was boring. I'm embarrassed it took me so long to see it as the beautiful, interpretive, jazzy thing I saw tonight.

UPDATE: Enquirer contributor David Lyman says it much better than I do in his review. It's exactly what I would have written if I were capable of writing a decent review.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just imagine how surprised you'll be about how much you l-o-v-e building houses in New Orleans!!!

Gina said...

Look sister, I already told you, I don't do hard labor in southern heat. You better be planning this fun time in the fall or winter.