Thursday, May 17, 2007

Three (Unrelated) Stories

Ray and Susie spent the night last night. I'm the stop-over on their way to Kentucky, where they'll be taking in a short vacation visiting my sister, my brother, my dad's childhood friend, Hawk, and then finally relaxing for a day or two at Natural Bridge.

They're taking their usual July 4 vacation early this year. Junie, one of my dad's hunting dogs, is pregnant and he needs to be there when she has her pups.

A few conversation highlights from their short visit...

I asked my dad if he's ever regretted leaving the little town in Kentucky where he grew up or if he ever thinks about moving back there one day.

"Nah," he said. "You have to drive 10 miles just to get a bottle of pop."

_______________________

Then we chatted about my dad's boyhood friend, Hawk, who my brother Elgin was named after. (Thankfully my dad didn't name my brother Hawk.)

Apparently ol' Hawk has a live-in girlfriend who's half his age. Hawk told my dad she didn't want to go out with him at first because he is so much older than she is.

"You're old enough to be my dad," she told him.

"I might be," Hawk said. "What's your mom's name?"

______________________

My dad also told me about a teacher who suspended for making a racist comment to a student.

"He called a Korean kid porkchop," my dad said.

Long pause...

"Why would he call a Korean kid porkchop," I said finally. "How is that racist?"

"Because, you can't call Korean kids porkchop, Gina," he said.

Another pause...

"Wait," my dad interrupted. "He didn't call him porkchop, he called him chopstick. That's right!"

Then I crumpled into laughter.

No comments: