Sunday, May 06, 2007

Not Training Is Money



Do not challenge the Tall Drink of Water to an endurance race. His cardiovascular system will eat you up and spit you out.

His final chip time for the Pig this lovely Sunday in May was 4:14:16. The clock time was 4:18:01.

Rob finished about minute behind him. They didn't find each other until after they'd crossed the finish line, so TDW did those long miles alone. But it didn't seem to phase him. Not too shabby for someone who hadn't intended to run. And he even beat his first-time marathon time, with less training. Take that, Pig!

At mile four, TDW ran past me yelling, "Have you seen Rob?!"

"No, I haven't seen him yet," I screamed back.

About minute or so later Rob ran past: "Has Paul passed you yet?!"

"He just came by, a minute or two ago! He's just ahead of you!"

They never caught up to each during the race, but I was able to get this nice photo of the two of them post-race through the spectator fence.

Here are some more of my images from the road.



Look at the unit on this guy.

I saw this nearly naked fella twice. The first time at four and again at 21. The first time he sailed by, soaking up the glory and shock of his "outfit." When I snapped this picture many, many miles later, he was struggling. He tried to point but was too weak. Sad!



At mile four Big Bri made a hilarious scene by running over to Jen, his girlfriend, and I, threw his arms into the air and yelled "WOOOOO!" Then he planted a big sweaty kiss on Jen. As she wiped the sweat and salt off of her face, the guy standing next to her said, "You must really love him."



Gretchen always looks so smooth when she's running. This was around mile 21 - definitely suffering time - yet she was smiling and waving. Final chip time: 3:55:25. Yay, Gretchen!



Man, this guy isn't going to be able to shower for a week it's gonna burn so bad. Yeeouch!



TDW just getting warmed up at mile 12.



With the last five miles to go, I shoved a few gummi bears into TDW's hand as he went by, kissed him and said, "You got this. No problem."

I would have given him more gummi bears, but I had started to eat them from my sweatshirt pocket as I cheered on runners and waited. I decided to pick them off one-by-one by least desirable color - Green gummi bear, you gotta go! Orange gummi bear, see ya! - and save the best flavors (red and white, of course) for him.

At the finish he said, "Those gummi bears were delicious. I wish I'd had more."

I'm a bad girlfriend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay Paul! Yay Big Bri! Yay Rob! Yay marathoners!

I'm in awe, but I have no desire to ever try that. Yeowch!

Oh, and yay Gina for being a great girlfriend and cheerleader, despite the gummi bear fiasco.