Thursday, April 26, 2007

Such Great Heights



My face was broke out. I was wearing pajama pants and The Tall Drink of Water had just run six miles.

We were lying on the couch. I think Sports Center was on. Or maybe it was a game. It was around midnight last Monday.

At first I thought he was kidding. TDW said that he'd had a conversation with the cats (this isn't unusual - we often pretend to have lengthy conversations with the cats) and that they'd all agreed that we should get married.

I, of course, cracked a joke. "All four of us? But they're boys. Isn't that illegal?"

"No, not them. Us," he said, and his voice cracked. That's how I knew he was serious.

Then the Tall Drink of Water handed me a groovy little ring. It's a double band with a hammered center and no other woman on this planet would consider it engagement ring. So of course it's perfect. (It's great fun to show it off. The reaction starts out with "Ooh!" Then drops to a short, "oh." Then a quick, "It's very you," is added. I can only hope that our wedding gets a similar reaction.)

And that's the story of how we got engaged 10 days ago.

This photo is completely unrelated to the moment. But it says it all - rapture, unbridled passion, commitment, my inability to not lick his face at parties.

Thanks to The Postal Service for the title of this post. Though TDW and I both prefer the Iron & Wine version. See, we're totally soulmates.

9 comments:

Brian said...

Thanks for finally mentioning this little tidbit. Paul certainly won't on that so called blog of his. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I wish you both many, many years of happiness.

I love the bit about the cats. One of our dogs has a total potty mouth.

dp

G said...

Congratulations! Best news ever! The Mahans would like to invite you over for burgers, brats, champagne and Uno.

Anonymous said...

Wahoooooooooooo!

Ronson said...

...and then she never blogged again.

Ooooh, burn!

However Ronsonville and I would like to extend hearty congrats on your engagement...

Gina said...

It's like I'm a new person since I got engaged. And by "new person" I mean the type of person who never updates her blog.

Thanks for the congrats everyone!

ShannanB said...

Congratulations Gina!

glass said...

So I'm having dinner with my mom on Sunday, outside, beautiful day. I'd been traveling and was behind on feeds.

She says, Gina got engaged to the tall drink of water.

No WAY! says I, Awesome!

Congrats, and um, I swear my mom's the best kind of stalker.

Gina said...

Awww. Your mom is adorable! Thanks so much.

Heading to MiCA for those of those Cincinnati Transit tees. I'm an "optimist." :)