Thursday, April 05, 2007

Adorable Donkey Alert - Try Not To Melt



I watch too much TV. Mainly too much American's Funniest Home Videos and When Animals Kick Your Ass. Or whatever those shows are called.

This morning I went to Gorman Farm in Evendale for a story about eating locally grown foods. I hadn't been to a farm since I was a little kid.

My dad grew up on a tobacco farm and when I was little we'd go visit my papaw (who still raised tobacco) and there were always cows and mules around. Though mostly all I remember were chickens running around in the yard.

Thinking about that makes me laugh... There were chickens in the front yard.

And I went to a farm in grade school of course, during one of those programs where they drag you to a farm and make you milk a cow. If I recall, I was none too pleased about that. Anyway, that was a long time ago.

So today David (our photographer) and I traipsed around Gorman Farm in the cold, and it was pretty fun. There were baby chicks and chickens, a big steer, a calf, an enormous pig, a field of lambs and goats and a couple miniature horses.

I'm sure the woman leading us around could tell we hadn't been to a farm or seen farm animals in years because we kept oohing and ahhing like little kids and saying, "Oh! It's sooo cute!"

But this donkey was the most adorable thing I've ever seen. I practically melted at the sight of it. And it was very friendly. To David anyway. I wouldn't actually touch any of the animals, even though I wanted to, because in my mind I was convinced they'd unleash a fury of animal anger on me.

David was petting a very cute goat and the whole time I kept waiting for him to get pushed over or head butted. Then he was shooting photos of a turkey, which the woman said saw David as a threat because it was positioning itself between David and its hen and was getting kind of bent out of shape over the experience. Though I can't blame the turkey. David was getting right in its face (though through the fence) and I was certain he was about to get done in its by its huge feet.

He never did.

Which brings me back to why I think I watch too many of those TV shows where people get attacked by animals. The whole time I wanted to pet the donkey but didn't because I envisioned it kicking me in the chest, just like on that show, When Animals Kick You In The Chest.

I guess sometimes you just have to risk it.

There was an adorable farm cat there that I petted though. It was all black except for a white spot on it's chest, just like Cassady. Only this cat was about 15 pounds lighter and wouldn't be afraid to tussle with a mouse. I'm not sure I can say that about Cassady.

No comments: