Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thanks A Lot Mother Nature!


Sure there's a tree on that car, but the real highlight is you can see my petunias and vegetable planter!


Shattered glass.

Usually I call this spot on the street the "money spot" because it's right outside my apartment. But it sure wasn't the money spot this morning when this tree landed on it.

Normally I like storms but last night's was scary - I don't want to say I was hiding under the covers but I may have been, umm... consoling the cats who were under there.

There were some harrowing tales of survival in my building at work today, too. We had only partial power all day (which was fine with me, no overhead florescents = awesome), but apparently the elevators were down at one point.

Omg! The elevators were down! Dear sweet Jesus!

Fortunately it was back to life by the time I got there. And it's a damn good thing because I work on the 10th floor!

So I'm on the elevator this morning and this poor girl is talking to one of her colleagues saying, "Oh my god. I can't believe the power went out. I spent all day getting stem cells out of mice yesterday... 16 mice... 32 femurs... 10 hours."

Then she'd shake her head. I'm not sure the process by which you get stem cells out of a mouse femur, but it seems to take a long time.

Thanks a lot Mother Nature! First this poor unsuspecting Saab gets crushed by a tree, then it's possible that this chick's stem cells unfroze or melted or coagulated or whatever happens to stem cells when the power goes out. That's just great!

2 comments:

Kari said...

I bet this breaks your landlord's heart. It totally messes up the feng shui of his landscaping!

Kelly said...

Dude, that storm woke me up at 2 a.m. and then totally scared me with its thunder-crashiness. I briefly considered moving from my bed to the couch because there's a tree right outside my bedroom window, and I didn't want a branch to come crashing in and impale me.

Poor car! Hope the owner was insured for "huge honkin' tree."