Sunday, January 27, 2008

My Mom: Career Woman


She's too good for Cracker Barrel anyway.

My mom told me during our Sunday chat tonight that last week she wanted to work at the Cracker Barrel gift shop but now she's not sure she wants to work there anymore.

When I asked her what happened she said the manager insulted her by not sitting down during her interview. She seemed kinda crushed by this, because she thought she'd make an excellent greeter/gift shop sales associate.

"I could talk to people while they wait and hand out samples from the little trays they have," she said. "But once he found out I didn't want to work in the restaurant he didn't want anything to do with me, Gina."

That bastard, I thought. Insult my momma.

My mom's been retired for five years but has been looking for something to do lately, and she told me the night before her "interview" she couldn't sleep she was so excited thinking about what days she could work and not have to miss volunteering at the hospital or her water aerobics classes.

But after the manager "walked her off" she decided Cracker Barrel was kind of far for her drive anyway. (It's about seven miles away.)

"So I've pretty much talked myself out of it," she said, adding that the gift shop manager is back this week but she probably won't go talk to her after being insulted by the general manager.

"Awww, I'm sorry he crushed your dreams of working in the Cracker Barrel gift shop," I said.

This struck us funny and we laughed until tears were in our eyes.

And then she goes: "Your dad said, 'You're gonna fool around and end up with a job, Susie. Then what are ya gonna do?' He's right, they'll have to beg me to work there now."

1 comment:

Jen said...

That's it. I'm never eating at another Cracker Barrel! (Not that I do, anyway, but I'm still never eating there again.)

;)