Wednesday, January 23, 2008

BFFs Just Wanna Have Fun


BFFs Alena (left) and Alivia.

In the last year I've found myself in the enviable position of being something of a rock-star in the eyes of a three-year-old. I've never been so important. I'm not quite Taylor Swift status, but still, I got some cachet. And now I totally live for it.

Knowing that a little girl thinks I'm the coolest kid in school is pretty much the best thing ever, so on my day off on Monday I made sure to pay a visit to my good friend Yvette and my BFF Alena, along with her adorable sisters and brother.

It was raucous. There were dance costumes, high-heeled dress-up shoes, horseback riding (of the plastic variety), Playdough flowers and lots of photos taken - mostly by Alena, who is obviously a wunderkind with a Canon.

We had way too much fun. Did I mention there was also singing and dancing? Oh, there was. And at one point there was even some competition over who'd get to sit in my lap next. (Best day ever!)

What's more, I got to see how a mother of four kids under the age 4 tackles her day. The naps, the meals, the play time, the fights, the injuries, the tears, the delightful ways they look up to her and adore her. I wondered how Yvette does it all day, every day. It must exhausting, or at least I was after only a few hours. Yet she balances it all so skillfully and with such great warmth and patience.

What lucky kids they are to have such a rock-star mom. And the rock-star BFF is totally honored to have her lap fought over.

Next on the BFF agenda: More dance costumes, possible nail-polishing sessions and more bouncing on my lap. I got a cool kid reputation to maintain.

2 comments:

Yvette said...

What wonderful sentiments about us, craziness and all. You'll have to bring your rock star behind back this summer for naked water spigot frolicking and a turn down the turbo slide. So glad you could visit. Feel free to stop by anytime.

Anonymous said...

I must say that I was a little bit jealous that you got to be the rockstar that day. I always thought that I was the rockstar. In all seriousness though, I don't think there is any better feeling than the feeling you get from those beautiful girls making you feel like your the most important person on the earth at that moment.
Mandy (Yvette's sister)