Friday, January 25, 2008

Film of the Year



Last night I went to see the movie Spirit of the Marathon, a documentary that follows six people of varying fitness levels training for the Chicago Marathon.

I'd been anxiously awaiting seeing it since I bought the tickets for the "one-time only" big screen showing weeks ago. Thursday night finally arrived and I was giddy with anticipation.

The movie turned out to be everything I'd hoped it would be, captivating, heartfelt and humorous. I didn't want it to end, and I don't even run marathons.

The six stories were of two first-time marathoners, a Boston hopeful qualifier, a hilarious old man, and two elite athletes - Bronze medalist Deena Kastor (who I absolutely adored by the end), and Kenyan Daniel Njenga. I was sweating every step of their race to win Chicago, damning their competitors and hoping for them a strong finish for a race they ran two-years ago.

If I'd have had pom pons, I totally would have done a cheer in the theater to encourage them.

Interspersed among the runners' stories was the history of the marathon, including shots of Kathrine Switzter's famous challenge of the all-male Boston Marathon in 1967. Seeing the black-and-white photos of the race director attacking her in attempt to tear off her race number was a seminal moment for me as a young girl. I truly was astounded to learn that girls weren't always allowed to run in certain races. (Though the movie hardly mentions this, I'm still astounded that it was 1984 before there was a women's Olympic marathon. 1984.)

Last night, I got see Switzer's Boston marathon breakthrough on the big screen. What's better, I got to watch her big ol' boyfriend jack the race director and send his ass sailing. Man it was awesome.

A writer from the Chicago Tribune called Spirt of the Marathon a "love letter to Chicago," but it's really a love letter to the human body - its athleticism, prowess, adaptability, resolve. And of course, spirit.

Having said all that, I'm no fool. You won't see me running 26.2 miles anytime soon. But I think everyone else should so I can go watch.

And apparently the film's popularity was bigger than anticipated, because there's an encore showing at select theaters February 21. Trust me, you'll like it way better than No Country For Old Men.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, Gina...This looks awesome! I have to decide by Jan 31st if I'm going to run the Pig for the 4th time. I HATE you for posting this, because I just might have to sign up to do it again. Running the 26 miles for me is a love/hate relationship! Are you doing it?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Gina
Dave and I saw it too! Like you, I bought tickets in advance and was happy to see the theater nearly full. Thinking about the movie today got me through 10 VERY cold miles!!

G said...

Don't get me wrong, I love Paula, but I think Deena may be my favorite after seeing this movie. It was so awesome to see her train - Mammoth Lakes, CA looks absolutely beautiful, like a runner's paradise. Plus, the extra footage of her cooking enchiladas was the highlight of my week. It's fun to see your heroes as regular people. Elite runners - they're just like us (except they work off the 5000 calories by running 145 miles each week).