Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Coffee, Grapes and Bile - Breakfast of Champions

I want to punch Maureen Dowd in the face.

Her op-ed piece in today's Times, "Can Hillary Cry Her Back to the White House" is making my blood boil. It's one of the more sexist things I've read lately. Way to stereotype your way to the top of the Most Emailed list, MoDo. Ugh. It's just so... bitchy.

I'm going to dismiss it though. This is the person who wrote the most boring cover story on Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert imaginable. And it's an impressive feat to bore people with two of the funniest people on TV. Enough about them, Maureen. Tell us more about YOU.

Dowd's piece is the exact opposite of Gloria Steinem's excellently crafted piece from yesterday, "Women Are Never Front-Runners."

My money is on Steinem getting more hate mail, though. Hillary is bashing is easy. Everybody gets behind it. Reminding people that sexism is alive and thriving doesn't go over as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dowd is terrible, and I rarely read her because I find her too shrill (which, of course, is a typically gendered insult, but in her case, it's completely true). However, I did agree with her take that Clinton's emotional moment was, as she put it, "weirdly narcissistic." I had the same reaction at the time -- this upsets me because you people are too stupid to elect me, not because the stresses of the campaign are getting to me.

It's a shame that our first serious female presidential candidate is Hillary, who I just don't like very much for many reasons (but not because she's a woman).

Yvette said...

After reading Dowd's piece, I'm not sure if my blood should be boiling or if I should be crying. Being one of the most sexist things I've ever read, it speaks directly to the heart of the matter in this election, and that is that this country simply isn't ready for a female president. The majority in this country would rather spend the next four years paying $6.00 for a gallon of gas than vote for a woman or a person of color. This whole primary process has left me pondering which remains more prevalent in this country racism or sexism. I myself am a Hillary supporter, and would rather the president of our country cry than launch us all into a war NO ONE thought out. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to see her (or any Democrat given the alternative) get elected, I believe racism and sexism will prevail and we'll find ourselves stuck with another one of "those" for another four long years.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Initially, I couldn't bring myself to click on that headline. Speaking of tears, I cringe thinking I contributed to helping make this cry for attention the #1 emailed story on NYT. But I was so glad to see this post that I went back to read it. (How I hate contributing to her #1 status.) This has to be especially annoying for Hillary coming from her hometown paper. sheesh. So much for progress. Doud is so that bitchy blonde plastic from Mean Girls. (Not Lindsay Lohan or the one from Party of Five who says "Fetch" all the time.) Ok, raise your hand if you've ever felt personally victimized by Regina George.

Anonymous said...

Off Topic....
What happened to OMG CINCY?

Anonymous said...

Sweet bike, you ever take it off any seet jumps? You need to learn how to do some tricks. Maybe smoke the tires or something.

Also, you may want to rethink the red helmet with purple bike. Isn't there a old lady book club that wears red hats with purple clothes.

Best of luck!

Eric
Flying Pig Blog