Sunday, December 23, 2007

Yay! (What's a Giraffe Bed?)



Nick Lachey made his hometown proud last week by winning Clash of The Choirs.

I didn't watch because I didn't want to jinx him. I feel like whenever I want someone to win and I watch, they lose. But if I want them to win and don't watch, they win. So... Thanks to me not watching, Nick won. :)

I'm a fan of Nick if not professionally certainly personally. Seems like a good guy to me. Nice. Laid-back. Friendly. My sort of dude. Plus I wanted Children's to win the $250,000 prize money, which everyone reported would be used for Giraffe beds in the Regional Neonative Intensive Care Unit.

Awesome! I imagined fun, yellow and brown Giraffe decorated beds that kids were like "Whoa!" when they see them. Like they're so huge kids forget about how sick they are.

Then I thought $250,000 sounded like a lot of money for plastic Giraffe beds.

Turns out a Giraffe bed is one of those clear plastic chambers teeny tiny babies are put in when they can't be contaminated by the world.

Or more specifically, it's a fully featured neonatal care station, with an X-ray cassette tray, internal bed tilt, integrated in-bed scale, warming drawer for diapers and blankets, mounting rail for IV poles, pumps and shelves; it's also a controlled humidifier with oxygen systems and temperature controls; and alarm noises and lights are designed so as not to disturb the baby.

It also has sleeves so physicians and nurses and moms and dads can poke their hands in without actually touching the baby.

It's quite a bed. I wish I had one.

Thanks to Nick, Children's can buy about 5 of them with $250,000.

No comments: