Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Please Welcome Your New Course Snacking Champion


Yessss... Thinking back I was awesome.

Did you know they hand out snacks to runners during the Pig?!

Had I known this before I'd have run rather than cheered all those years.

Needless to say the Pig was fun! I was handed a Twizzler within 15 feet of starting my "sprint" to the finish and decided then and there, as I tore into that piece of strawberry grooved fun, that I'd snack my way through 6.8 miles. I'm the only person ever to actually gain weight while running.

In order I grazed on:

• A Twizzler, which I ate some of and then swung around above my head during particularly awesome sections of cheerers

• A piece of chocolate (Dove maybe?)

• A Hershey's Kiss

• An orange wedge (which I nearly choked to death on)

• Two Gummi Bears (one red, one white)

• A sip of beer (which I also nearly chocked to death on)

My race strategy proved brilliant, if not a little stomach upsetting, as I was crowned the winner of a brand new course snacking record.

Speech? Well... ok... First of all, big ups to God for this huge win. I gotta give a shout to my family for really being there for me, and of course my friends who helped me train for this difficult competition. Thanks for the Funyons you guys! But most of all I'd like to thank the fans and spectators because really, without you, I couldn't have done it. No really, I couldn't have.

In addition to snacking my other "race strategy" to high-five anybody who'd let me was equally rewarding. I didn't set any course records for this one but I feel like I made a few kids' days doing it, so it was totally worth it.

It's hard to chit-chat with fellow runners when you can't breathe, but one guy who was struggling along beside me during the final stretch turned to me and said, "Y'all ain't got a flat road in this town, do ya?"

I gave him a sympathetic look as we stared at the incline ahead of us said, "It ain't lookin' good, is it?" And that poor sap probably ran the whole marathon.

Aside from nearly getting my toe severed off, it was a lot of fun.

I had worried that running in it wouldn't be nearly as fun as drinking a latté and cheering is, but it was. It was way more fun. And hopefully I'll stop limping soon!

3 comments:

Paul said...

Wow, you've certainly set the bar pretty high for course snacking. I'm going to have to rethink my entire training regimen.

Too bad you didn't vomit at the end of the race as you'd hoped to do...I think it would have been pretty awesome with the variety of snacks you had along the way.

Maybe next year?

Unknown said...

Can I get your autograph? You're a positive role model for snackers and fans of snackers everywhere. I told my daughter (wipes tear away) someday...someday that could be you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your snack-fueled run! I don't think I'll be nearly as lucky as you at the Cleveland Marathon. Rumor has it they serve nothing but vanilla-flavored Goo. Sigh. How is a girl supposed to run on that stuff???