Saturday, May 03, 2008

When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong


Cassius is exhausted after doing the Piglet Fun Run this morning.

Since I won't be making my mark on the Pig with an awesome fast time, I've been thinking of other ways.

Last week I decided if I really wanted to have fun with it I needed to give people something to talk about, something that really captures the essence of all out running. So I decided I needed to vomit right at the finish line. Even better if it was photographed by race photographers.

I figure this would really sell it to spectators that I ran hella-hard and that I'm a bad-ass. "Did you see that girl vomiting?! Whoa. That was awesome."

At least that's what I'd say if I saw someone vomiting at the finish line.

Tuesday night I was running down Zumstein and decided to "practice" my finish. I concentrated on taking long strides to make me look more graceful, landed on the balls of my feet to appear faster and held my gaze up.

I was looking the part, I think. I did this for about 200 yards, really selling it to the hundreds of spectators lining Zumstein... who were in my imagination.

No sooner did I stop and start walking did I get woozy and nauseous and nearly vomited during my "practice" finish. (God I'm a candyass.)

It was pretty unpleasant, so I'm rethinking my big vomity finish on Sunday.

Yet I can't help but recall the glimmer of pride in my track coach's eyes when we'd vomit after a work out or a race.

"Leave it all out there," she'd say. I never thought she was talking about puke, but looking back, maybe she was.

No comments: