Wednesday, February 13, 2008

She Is Her Own Husband



Today I ordered for my friend Ann the Hamilton Beach Automatic drip coffee maker from her Target Wishlist.

Ann and I met in journalism school. After graduation I went to work for a newspaper in Virginia and she moved to Chicago to pursue her dream of becoming a dancer. Five years later she moved to New York to continue her dancing career and landed in some awesomely unusual Off-Off Broadway productions.

As one of my most spirited, independent friends, I wasn't surprised last week when she told me she was marrying herself. She had just gotten back from traveling through Europe - by herself! - and after a hilarious description of Ireland, she added she was glad she'd gone ahead and traveled alone because she wasn't sure if she'd ever find a man.

"So I'm marrying myself," she said, adding that it's high-time people start shelling out for her like she's shelled out for their weddings, and showers and babies.

Excellent idea, I told her. "Send me your registry."

She's also moving into her first New York apartment sans roommates soon, so she needs some basics. I think the coffee pot goes both ways in terms of a good gift - it's fun but also practical.

So happy wedding/new apartment to Ann. I think she'll make an excellent husband for herself. Plus she has great taste in tea towels.

1 comment:

shivakicksnyc@gmail.com said...

And the joy keeps on giving. Full circle, I still have the coffee maker!