Saturday, February 16, 2008

Come Back



For the last couple of months I've eaten a few pounds of cherries each week.

I pack them into sandwich bags and carry them into work, shooting the seeds into my trash can as a kind of target practice. Let's see how far I can spit this one!

They've become my favorite fruit. But tragedy has struck - I can't find anymore cherries.

Sure they're out of season and I should probably not be eating cherries that have been shipped and trucked in from Chile, but I want them. I don't care if it's February, I'm sure they're in season somewhere.

Last night I wandered around the produce section lost and confused. But they were here last week...

So I asked the fruit guys if they knew the cherry schedule and if there were anymore coming in. They acted like they'd never heard of cherries before.

"You just asked the teenagers on the night shift if they know when they're getting cherries in," the Tall Drink of Water said. "I used to work in the produce section as a teenager. They have no clue if there are going to be anymore cherries."

He said this consolingly, like, What do they know?

Today I went to the one place that I was certain would have cherries - Fresh Market. I was willing to pay top dollar. (Otherwise I wouldn't have been at Fresh Market.) No cherries.

I feel like an addict, like I'm a day or two away from back alleys and shady cherry deals.

5 comments:

jb said...

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I saw a bunch of sweet cherries up at Jungle Jim's this afternoon. Yes, Chilean, but anything to keep you out of shady fruit dealings.

Gina said...

Road trip!

Yvette said...

Girl, you should know you need to make a trip to Jungle Jim's. If Jungle Jim's doesn't have it, then you don't need it.

timmmii said...

but can you tie a cherry stem in your mouth? that's the sign of a true cherry aficionado. also....that T.D.o.W. you talked to sounds like a total chump. could he be more patronizing? you should have punched him AND stolen his cherries.

Gina said...

He IS a total chump!

Except when he's driving 30 miles away to fetch me cherries. Then he's totally awesome.

Pretty sure I can't knot a cherry stem in my mouth. But I can spit the seeds really far. That counts for something, right?