Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Daugherty Report

After hearing so much about the Mitchell Report, I decided to just go ahead and read the thing. All 311+ pages.

I feel like a more apt title would be "The New York Times/Sports Illustrated/Albany Times Union/ESPN.com/Various Books/ Affidavit Report."

Because 85 percent of it is taken from already published accounts of steroid use in newspapers, magazines and books. Mitchell writes he interviewed over 700 people for this report. I can count evidence of 7, but there are really only 3 big players here. The rest is essentially a literature review.

There were some definite highlights, though, which I copied and pasted into a document. A Mitchell Report Cliff's Notes, if you will. I'm happy to email it to anyone who'd like to say they've read the report without having to actually read it.

If the Mitchell Report is the HGH of reports, then the Daugherty Report is "the clear." (Which, as the chemist who created it explains, is "sickly bitter." FYI.)

In other reading, Esquire has a great piece by David Simon on the decline of the Baltimore Sun, and ultimately, the sadness that's descended over many newspapers.

2 comments:

Dan said...

My lord, I can't believe you read that whole thing. Was Paul playing a marathon game of CoD3? Were you that bored?

Gina said...

Haha. I know, kinda crazy. But I'm more likely to read than watch TV, so... Plus I was interested in what it said exactly. And I'm a complete sicko.

I'll send you my Cliff's Notes version. I know you totally want it.

:)