Thursday, November 29, 2007

School Lunch



This can't be normal, but I'm obsessed with the cafeteria in my building. I've never worked anywhere with a full cafeteria before and it's this crazy smorgasboard of options for me.

Salad bar. Soups. Hot entrees with sides. Sandwiches and burgers. A breakfast bar with pancakes. There's even a Mexican food grill, LaRosa's and a Gold Star at the main cafeteria.

It's like heaven with blue cafeteria trays.

But the best part is that it's dirt cheap, like $5 or less for everything, with the drink.

My coworkers tell me I'll get sick of soon, and I probably will, but thus far the daily specials are still wowing me. Tomorrow there's a baked potato bar at base (that's Children's lingo for the main hospital) and since I'm meeting some people there, well... I might as well slather a potato in cheese and broccoli!

It's like school lunch back in the day, when you'd check the menu and see that Thursday was pizza day or whatever.

Only now I'm like, "Sweet! Wednesday is spinach and goat cheese lasagna day!"

Now if only they'd add tater tots and corndogs to the menu, it would be heaven.

UPDATE: My first potato bar experience was delayed for a trip to Cactus Pear instead. Mmm. Even better.

4 comments:

markjx said...

Hey Gina,

Over at "base", there's a spot in the food court called "Orvill & Wilber's" or something like that. They've got burgers, deep fried chicken nuggetty things, and other wonders of the grill. Most importantly, they have...

TATER TOTS!!!

Maybe not every day, but if you keep your eye out, you'll find 'em!

Welcome to CCHMC!

MJx

Gina said...

Woo hoo! I can't wait to get my hands on them tots.

I owe you an order for the heads up. Thanks MJx!

hellogerard said...

Hi Gina,

I worked at Children's for 3 years. The cafeteria was easily the best thing about my job (if any of my former bosses read this, the preceding statement is not true. otherwise, it is true). The options were staggering at times, and all of it very, very good.

My favorite option overall was simply the soup and sandwich though. Mmm, turkey and swiss on the light rye, with whatever soup they had.

Except for the cheeseburger chowder. That was kind of weird. Like it was the previous day's cheeseburgers ground up into soup form. Do they still have that?

Gina said...

Yum. I like the sound of that turkey and swiss. Was it grilled or cold?

I've not seen the cheeseburger chowder yet but I asked a colleague if they still have it and you'll be happy to know, They still do!

Whenever you want to come meet me for some ground up old cheeseburgers in liquid, let me know!