Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Dust Off Your Antlers



The Jingle Bell Run/Walk is Saturday, December 8, and I'll be participating this year.

My poor sweet mama was recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis, a very serious and potentially debilitating disease. And the Jingle Bell Run raises money for the arthritis foundation.

From what I hear the event is pretty festive - lots of costumes and santa hats and reindeer antlers. Fun!

I called my mom last week to see if she wanted to come down and walk the event with me, or just drink hot chocolate and watch everyone else walk. I told her I'd rip off my Jingle Bell run t-shirt at the end of the race and fling it at her, rocker-style.

Then she started to cry. Which made me cry. Then she tearfully rejected the idea, but added it was very sweet that I'd walk a race in her honor.

Then she said, "If it's real cold you don't have to do it, do you?"

"Well no. They're not going to come to my house and drag me out or anything," I said.

"Good. So if it's snowing you can change your mind. All they want is your money for charity anyway."

My mom, always practical.

So the Tall Drink of Water and I will don our warmest clothes (assuming it's cold that day) and head out for the 10 a.m. start time from the Northern Kentucky Convention Center.

It's just three miles so TDW should have that knocked out in about 23 minutes. I'll meet him at the finish line in... ohhh, about an hour.

But we'll be there. With bells on. And maybe snowman costumes.

If you're around, please join us. You can even bring your dog and put antlers on him too! Or you can donate on my fundraising page.

I'll take a team photo for Susie and give it to her for Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom's practical side makes me laugh. Ah, moms. I'm totally for the sponsering of you & Paul running in snowman costumes.