Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dog Days at the Pool



The better part of my afternoon was spent at the pool, where most Saturdays and Sundays a small crowd gathers to drink, read magazines and chit-chat.

Most of today's chit-chat was about who in the complex has the cutest dog. A guy with a new puppy, which was described as "a little snuggle bear," was the winner. Indeed, a little while later this puppy and its owner came to the pool and it was absolutely tiny, fluffy and adorable. I even petted it, so you know it must have been cute.

Several other dogs and their owners came out as well, but none as cute as this little puppy.

I don't go to the pool much, but now that I realize what a nice community of young people gather out there, I'll miss it now when I move. One girl works at PF Chang's, so I got to hear some Chang gossip, which was fun. Another girl brought down a box of Dilly Bars and shared them with everyone and one of the guys had a cooler of homemade Bourbon slushies, made with lemonade and orange juice, he said, that he liberally offered. (It was delicious.)

Everyone ate and drank and discussed dogs, studio apartments and debated if "Jetta Girl" moved out. (Word is that she still lives on the third floor but stays with her boyfriend all the time because he has a dog and doesn't like to leave it.)

My favorite piece of info from the afternoon was from my downstairs neighbor, who is the assistant to the GM at The Precinct. According to her, Miss B. Ruby is getting married to Bengals linebacker Caleb Miller. Guess what they're giving away as favors for their wedding?

Filet Mignon, you say? Close.

Steak dust. Steak dust and bags of coffee.

I'd never heard of steak dust before, but when I told the Tall Drink of Water about this later his eyes lit up and he said, "I'd love to get Precinct steak dust at a wedding."

I'm going to the pool again tomorrow to find out what else is happening on Golden Avenue.

No comments: