Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Wal-Mart: More Than Low Prices

The bathroom floor in my parent’s house has been slowly but surely sinking.

Whenever I would go home, it was more and more dangerous to step too close to the toilet or put all your weight down too near it because there was the real possibility that you could go through the floor.

My dad finally got around tearing up the floor last week, and told me that the water damage was far worse that he’d expected. Though I’m not sure how this is possible considering nearly everyone who went in there would come out and say, “Your floor is about fall through.”

Dad and his friend Willie fixed the leak and built a new floor, and mom picked out new tile. The tile was supposed to arrive three days ago. It didn’t. So they have no toilet for three days.

Where are they using the bathroom, you wonder? Me too.

“At Wal-Mart,” my mom said.

“But where are you going in the morning when you have to go really bad. Or what if there is an emergency,” I asked.

“Wal-Mart,” she said.

I asked my dad why they don’t just use the neighbors’ toilet.

“Mmm. I don’t want to do that. For one thing, I don’t want to track through their house. Besides that, Marianne is always about half drunk and Tom’s house is kind of dirty.”

But Wal-Mart is just a mile away.

No comments: