Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sound Advice

This afternoon I interviewed Wall Street Journal reporter Dorothy Rabinowitz.

I rarely get nervous before interviews, but I was a bit nervous today before calling her because, well, she's a columnist for the Wall Street Journal and she's a Pulitzer Prize winner. In fact, she's the only Pulitzer Prize winner I've ever interviewed - or even talked to - I'm sure.

She won the Pulitzer in 2001 for commentary, mostly for columns about people wrongly accused of crimes. You can read the pieces here.

After a few questions I relaxed and she also became more open and conversational. I of course found her wildly entertaining. She must be at least in her 60s.

Anyway, we were discussing what journalists love to discuss: The supposed any-day-now demise of newspapers and the fact that advertisers are leaving them.

I told her it is worrisome for me. She agreed that it is very worrisome.

Then she said: "But if I were you, my dear, I would write more and worry less."

No comments: