Friday, January 16, 2009

Good Night, Mr. Wyeth



Andrew Wyeth died today at 91.

This probably wouldn't mean much to me, except that two years ago I had the privilege of interviewing his granddaughter at the Cincinnati Art Museum. She is just a few years young than me and is seemingly Wyeth's appointee to continue his legacy and tell his stories.

I was interviewing her for an exhibition of his early drawings, including the first outlines of his famous/infamous Christina's World. It was stunning to see the evolution of something like that, like a window into what it would be like to be a painter.

Here is the blog post I wrote about my interview with her. She was so affable and charming referring to her famous grandfather as "Andy" that it cracked me up. She also told me everyone in the family, including "Andy", thought the painting kind of sucked when they first saw it.

I've always liked it. It's strange and unexpected and eerie.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Very sad.

I think I may have told you when you did the story, but I visited Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania with my parents when I was a kid. Did the museum thing and I think we even drove past his house. We were such stalkers.

:)
great artist.