Friday, October 17, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me



I used to do this thing where around every birthday I'd write something. Usually it was an existential essay-type thing about what I wanted for my birthday. Like a yard. When I was turning 22 I wrote that I wanted a yard.

I still don't have a yard, but I do have an adorable balcony with vegetable plants and a nice view of the moon at night, so that's even better. No mowing.

A lot has changed since my last b-day. Two of my closest friends moved to New York. My BFF had a baby. I started a new job. I moved and am living solo again. I've made some great new friends.

It's been a good year.

So what would write that I want for my birthday this year? Hmm... there isn't much I want for. But I know I'm thankful for what I have.

• Old friends. I got to spend some time today with a good friend who recently lost someone dear to him. I'm grateful he thinks of enough of me to spend two hours eating mediocre Mexican food and reminiscing.

• I'm thankful my parents are in good health. Thankful my dad's stent placement went well. Thankful my mom's rheumatoid arthritis is in check.

• I'm happy for my friends who are loving life in other cities (I'm looking at you Detroit and NYC). I miss having a crew to rely on, but I can tell when I see photos of them smiling and laughing that they're really just masking how sad they are. (Right, right? I mean you guys actually really, really miss me, right?)

• My iPhone. Truly everything at my finger tips. And thanks to the New York Times and AP News applications, I too am having lots and lots of fun... even sans friends who moved away. (Cuddles up next to iPhone.)

• A cozy place to call home... With my books arranged just-so on the shelves, candles burning and fresh flowers in a Mason jar.

• Facebook. Thanks to Facebook I got more birthday wishes this year than I've ever gotten in my life. That kid does deserve $1 billion!

• I'm thankful I lived this long. It was tenuous for a bit, but jokes on cancer. Ha. Suck it.

• And I'm thankful for my new Dolly Parton album Jolene... on vinyl! Next to my Kenneth the Page bobblehead and my Serenity by Jan candles, it's like totally the best birthday ever.

I'm fittin' to eat an Obama Busken cookie to celebrate all this good fortune. (Confetti!)

No comments: