Saturday, August 23, 2008

Someone To Count On


The handsome groom.

If you got married in the past four years and invited me, it's likely I wore this dress to the occasion. I've attended a dozen-plus weddings in that time and probably wore this dress to 90 percent of them.

Each time I think this is the time it's not going to fit anymore. It's certainly not getting any bigger, but miraculously it keeps zipping up. Thanks Ann Taylor sale rack.

Last night I wore the dress to my friend Michael's wedding. Jules took me as her date, and we agreed it was one of the nicest/sweetest weddings we'd been to in a while. It was certainly the biggest wedding I think I've ever attended. There must have been 300+ people there.

You got to bring your A-game to Michael and Andrea's wedding though - it was like a runway show of adorable dresses. Had I known I'd have maybe gotten a new dress.

I'm one of the sickos in this world who actually likes weddings. Some are more memorable than others and I think many of the traditions are mindless and esoteric, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating white wedding gowns and eating the cake.

But I digress... I meant to write this about something the priest said.

In the midst of the prayers and readings and Bible verses the priest said the reason Michael and Andrea were there was because they'd found someone they could each count on. Everyone just wants someone they can count on, he said. Someone to be there. Someone to rely on.

It was simple but eloquent. And that kind of sums it up I think - at the end of day we just want someone to have our back. I thought how Michael spent 18 months in Iraq and how it must have been great comfort for him to know he had someone here who he could count on... count on to miss him, want him home and pray he was safe.

So congrats to Michael and Andrea. The church was beautiful, the reception was rockin' (loved the open bar, thanks guys!) and the cake was delicious.

Speaking of the reception... Unless Andrea has a severe outside pitch a-la Mark Mallory, I'm about 80 percent sure she intentionally threw the bouquet at me. I ducked of course.

Oh wait, what's this? Oh it's me in that dress again...



Only at a different wedding.



And another wedding - this time with a sweater.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey, whaddaya know? I think I recognize something...