Monday, February 26, 2007

A Standing O And The Meaning of Y



The Cincinnati premiere of Kathy's Your Negro Tour Guide packed the house at Playhouse in the Park tonight. Her columns turned book turned one-woman show was clever, provactive, funny, scathing... Just like Kathy. And actress Torie Wiggins was so great I can't even describe what a terrific performance she gave.

In the spring of 2004, I was lucky enough to sit next to Kathy's mother (don't click this link unless you feel like tearing up) at a fund-raiser Kathy had for the homeless when Your Negro Tour Guide was first published.

For two years I did time with Kathy at the Journal-News, and then, like now, she always wrote under the byline Kathy Y. Wilson. I used to try and guess what the Y stood for, but eventually I gave up and said, "It's Kathy Y. Wilson, as in, WHY don't you just tell me." But she never would.

So sitting next her mother while we ate cornbread and pulled pork (two of my favorites), I casually asked her what the Y stood for. I didn't think she'd actually tell me, I guess because Kathy would never tell. I thought maybe they had some sort of agreement. They didn't, and she told me.

But I can't tell you. You'll have to do your own reporting.

Anyway, if Playhouse doesn't do a full production of Your Negro Tour Guide, I'll be completely disgusted. They have a rare opportunity to put on stage something from their own backyard that's new and challenging instead of the same ol' tired tripe that's always on stage. This is their chance.

After I snapped this photo, Kathy posed for another one she called her "Jazz Fest pose." I don't know what that means, and the photo is pretty funny, but I think this one better captures the moment.

4 comments:

Kari said...

Everybody's got a Jazz Fest pose, Gina.

Gina said...

My bad.

Anonymous said...

Hey Gina...this is Torie. I just wanted to thank you for coming out and supporting this work. I had a blast doing this piece! We are hoping for bigger and better things, so keep your fingers crossed and be on the lookout!

Anonymous said...

gina
what is the what, girl?
it's kathy Y wilson here, formerly of the citybeat wilsons and originally of the hamilton wilsons
thanks for all the work you did getting the word out on the playhouse stop and thank you for coming
you know we go a long way back and i always loved making you laugh at the j-n
that's right...i remember you at the hunts' home for that fundraiser and my sweet mamma who's gone on and looking at my black ass proudly
we're looking forward to the playhouse inviting us back and the yntg stage version is percolating as i type this
see y'all at the next performance