Friday, July 14, 2006

Hot, Firey Action

This morning as I was pulling onto Golden Avenue there were two firetrucks parked alongside the road. One of the trucks had its hose connected to a fire hydrant and there were about 10 firefighters milling about. A cop car was behind them with its lights on.

The hose was stretched across the road and before I ran over it, I wanted to make sure it'd be OK, so I slowed down and waited for one of the firefighters to give me a nod.

A man in probably his 40s waved me through. He was sweaty and tan and the wrinkles at the sides of his eyes were so deep they looked streaked white in contrast to the rest of his face.

I gave him a wave and a nod and passed through. He crinkled his wrinkles with a smile.

"Hmmm," I thought. "They must be draining that fire hydrant. Or whatever firefighters do when they're milling about."

Turns out, a house across the street from my apartment complex burned down at 3 a.m. this morning. Apparently the second floor collapsed as firefighters were battling the blaze.

Now, explain to me how a fire can engulf a house across the street, causing at least two firehouses in Cincinnati to respond, and I don't even stir. Not so much as a "Mmmph. I'm tired. Are those sirens? Oh well."

Nope. Slept like a baby. Woke up around 8:45 to my CD alarm clock groovin' to "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing."

That's the most interesting thing that's happened on Golden Avenue since the Audi girl's boyfriend jumped her car over the concrete and got it stuck on the embankment. I thought for sure it was going to slide down the hill, nosedive into the pavement and crash at the bottom. She ended up getting it towed out, after her man sheered the bottom of it off, nearly wrenched it into the Jeep beside her and grinded the gears out of it.

Damn that was funny.

1 comment:

Ronson said...

Remind me to tell you the about the fire in my Cedar Rapids apartment complex. It's pret-ty damn embarrassing.