Friday, March 20, 2009

Sandcastles And Sun



Just home from 5 days of sun and sand and I can honestly say... It was awesome. My top five favorite awesome moments:

1. Jet Skiing across the Gulf. Actually we were on a Wave Runner, but whatevs. I've always wanted to rent a Jet Ski and send sea water flying behind me. And with a little nudge from Adam, we were off - wave running across the ocean, bouncing off boat waves and taking turns too fast. It was SO fun. As the salt-water was spraying into my face and the sun was high above us sparkling off the ocean I thought, This is exactly where I'm supposed to be right now. It was one of those exhilarating moments that reminds you how great it is to be alive. Wee!

2. Breakfast on the balcony. We rented a condo-like hotel room, which turned out to be a fantastic idea. Instead of having to find some place for breakfast, lunch and dinner (not to mention pay for all those meals out) we were able to make breakfast and dinner in our fully equiped kitchen and eat on our balcony. Coffee, eggs and bacon taste much better with an ocean view.

3. Flying kites on the beach. What fun! I haven't flown a kite since... ever? But apparently this is something Adam always does at the beach. He got us two kites for $1. (Who knew the dollar store rocked so hard?) At first I was all, "Why do you get the awesome dragon kite and I have the stupid Tinkerbell kite?" But when Tinkerbell immediately took flight and looked so cute soaring over the beach I got so attached I refused to let it go even long after the sunset. Eventually I agreed to hook it to a hobie cat so I could watch it fly from the hotel room.

4. Swimming in the ocean. I didn't think I'd end up getting in, but after sitting in the cabana with no breeze hitting me for about, ohh... 30 minutes, I got so hot I practically ran into the water. (Think Baywatch minus the implants, tan and floatation device.) Later I tried to get Adam to go night swimming with me but that was a no-go. "You've seen JAWS haven't you?!" was his answer.

5. Watching the space shuttle Discovery launch. It was as if time stopped for a few minutes. Everyone stood frozen and staring into the sky, watching it ascend from the horizon. It was lovely too, as the white plume of shuttle gas turned orange in the sunset.

The one disappointment of the trip (other than flying Air Tran, for real, don't do it, ever) was that the Willie Nelson concert we had tickets to was postponed due to illness. We'll try to catch ya later, Willie. Feel better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. This was a very inspiring re-cap. Glad you guys had so much fun. (And have adorable sandcastle skills.)