Wednesday, April 09, 2008

It's Already Been Broughten

I'm in the throes of a mix-off with a colleague.

The only guideline is that it's got to be '80s music, but today I got an email saying "I'll bring the boombox. You bring the cardboard."

He don't even want none of me if this is an old-school hip hop mix. Dana Dane, anyone?

The hardest part has been excluding some great stuff that doesn't fit into the decade. I'm ruling out anything pre-1980 (Rapper's Delight) and anything post-1989 (Iesha) for fear of a technical disqualification.

The smack talk is getting pretty intense, including this from my inbox last week:

"My 80's mix is very close to finished. I was listening to it on the way to work this morning and it was so awesome that it blew the mind of the lady in the car next to me on 471. You'll see it on the news tonight. She never knew what hit her. It was DeBarge."

The mix-off goes down at high noon on Friday. Apparently there will be judges.

It. Is. So. On.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"She never knew what hit her. It was DeBarge."

Genius.

You got to bust out some early Prince. I'd go with "Uptown" or "When You Were Mine" (maybe my fave Prince of all time) from 1980, or "Controversy" from 1981. Open up with it. Hit 'em hard.

Unknown said...

This battle is going to be EPIC!!! Win or lose, I can see you flipping over a table and shaking your hair about.

Anonymous said...

I like Dave P's idea on Prince. You should use something more obscure. Like 17 days which was on the B-Side of When doves cry. He'll wish he was more hip when he was in the 80's because he missed out on this one.