Friday, April 11, 2008

How Ya Like Me Now?


The tears of a mix-tape clown.

This pretty much captures the scene at lunch today. Me happy to blow minds with my hella-cool '80s mix, and Adam crying in the background.

His turned out to be a movie soundtrack '80s mix, while mine was more skating rink music. We were "judged" on ten items, including aesthetic beauty, first track strength, closing track and a "bonus" category, the "backwards skate ability" of the disk. Ummm... hello. My mix has Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam on it. All Cried Out anyone? Sing it with me! "Don't you know my tears will burn the pillowwwwww!"

We both swiped awful photos of each other from Facebook for album art, but my cover totally won for it's Photoshopped image of my mix being so awesome it does, in fact, blow his mind.

The "judges" however, if you can even call them that, didn't declare a winner. Instead they said they had to "listen" to the CDs in their cars or whatever. Which is complete crap because everybody at that table, and some random people at nearby tables, totally knew I won.

Looking back I'd have a made a few different song choices, but overall I think I dropped the bomb on him. Baby. (Man, I can't believe I didn't include that song. Damn.)

But you can judge for yourself.



Next time we've decided we'll set some genre perimeters and also have a skate off. Psssssshhht. He don't even know that I grew up at the Idyl Wyld. I can roll, y'all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"When You Were Mine"...I'm so happy. Opening with "Atomic Dog" and closing with Kool Moe Dee?? Brutal. Weapons of Mass Dancestruzction.

I'll give Adam points for "Lunatic Fringe," but the rest of that is some sadass Ontario's/Rink's-level crap. Kenny Loggins? Ammmm.

Nice work, Hoosier Girl. (Now, Let's talk about your HS hair. Wow.)

G said...

APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED add me to the broken hearts you've collected!

G said...

Al B Sure! I'm so sure.

Kelly said...

I also can't believe you forgot "You Dropped a Bomb on Me." I was going to recommend it in your last post, but I didn't because I figured it was Just. So. Obvious.

Unknown said...

Hey hey baby how ya doin' come on in here. Got some hot chocolate on the stove waiting for you.

Dave P. - how can you do an 80's soundtrack mix without Kenny? He is 80's soundtrack! Footloose, Top Gun, Caddyshack, Over The Top, Caddyshack II!! It's okay not many people can handle the Loggins double shot.

Props to you Gina. Great mix that I've been listening to all weekend. It puts me in the mood to skate. Bring it. castleskateland.com

Gina said...

High school hair? Dave, that was like, three years ago. Ow! (Speaking of awesome hair, your and Amy's wedding photo is fab.)

I'm so excited that someone shares a deep love of Lisa Lisa and Al B Sure! like you G. But let's talk about Lil B Sure's falsetto on Rock the Cradle. Whoa.

Khud, were you even born when The Gap Band dropped that bomb on the charts? Sheesh. Everybody's a critic.

And Adam... your mix might not have been as awesome as mine, but anybody who quotes Oran "Juice" Jones on my blog is a-ok in my book.

I'm still gonna backward skate all over you at Castle Skateland though. Bring it, Double Shot.

timmmii said...

That hurt my brain just reading the song titles. both of them.

Anonymous said...

His mix was soo Vanilla 80's. Straight outta Suburbia! When you're from the hood (Marion), you gotta through down with the flow down (so what, it doesn't have to make sense in the hood).