Saturday, October 13, 2007

You Are My Magic 8-Ball



Thank you, Gina's Blog readers, for playing the role of Magic 8-Ball in my most recent poll.

Twenty-two (or 73 percent) of you chose 'Yes' to the question "Yes or No." And guess what? You were right. Those of you who picked 'No' were wrong, wrong, wrong. Thankfully.

About a million years ago I applied for a writing/editing job at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. When I was in graduate school Children's was spoken about in a kind of hushed tone. We all knew it as the nationally ranked hospital (it's 7th, according to U.S. News and World Report) that was a great place to work but difficult to get into. So when I sent my resume I didn't think too much of it. I figured I'd get a lovely generic rejection email.

And then HR at Children's called me. And I nearly passed out.

I was screened through a phone interview. Then through an in-peson interview. Then an interview with three research doctors. Then yet another interview. It was seriously the most gruelling interview process I've ever gone through. And this led to a lot of pacing and me asking my colleague Tabari's Magic 8-Ball, "Will I get a job offer from Children's?"

After mixed results (Yes, No, Maybe, Cannot Predict Now) I felt his Magic 8-Ball was not very Magical. But a poll on Gina's Blog? That is magic! And accurate!

So... Though I'm sad to leave my job and friends at CiN, I'm pretty excited to work for Children's. (Finally, a use for my master's in public health!) In a few weeks I'll start my new job as the senior writer/editor for Cincinnati Children's research Web site.

Which is a fancy way of saying it will be my job to twist into order the impact of research discovered by brilliant minds but perhaps not such great writers. Many of my new colleagues will be researchers and doctors hoping to find cures and better treatments for sick kids.

And that's ultimitely is what sealed the deal for me. Yes, the benefits and people and pay were all terrific, but was I ready/willing to leave journalism? The question kept me awake many nights.

Then just before my second interview I was sitting in the cafeteria at Children's, which was buzzing with families, nurses, physicians, support staff. And there were all these parents with their kids in tow and I looked at the kids and wondered, Are they sick? Are they having treaments here? Do they have a little brother or sister who is sick? And it gave me chills to think that these families were bringing their kids to Cincinnati in the hopes that they will get better.

And that was it.

Even though I won't work with kids, the bottom line at Children's isn't to shareholders or profits, it's to making kids feel better. I figure that's something I can get behind even if I can only contribute as a writer for a Web site.

I'm pretty excited. And word on the street is that there is a brand-spankin' new MacBook Pro with my name on it, waiting for me to log in. Ow ow!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic news, Gina, congrats! I only wish that we were in town so to buy you a celebratory pint. Best of luck with the transition and the new gig.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, sorry about the length of the interview process, but I'm glad you stuck it out. I'm also glad this poll was not only what I guessed it was, but that your poll takers pushed your fortune the right way.

Now, since I'm not sure how weird it is to have future co-workers commenting on your blog, I'll drop back into the shadows and try to not steal your MacBookPro before Halloween rolls around...

Gregory said...

Congrats.

Tabari McCoy said...

I'm happy for you, sad for the rest of us (and yes, the time of this post indicates I am really wide awake right now when I shouldn't be).

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Gina! This sounds like an exciting new challenge and a great move for you. I'm happy for you!

Yvette said...

What a great position for you ... so glad to hear the great news. It sounds like a terrific move for you and definitely a good way to mesh your journalism and health knowledge. Keep us posted on the transition and new challenges.

Gina said...

Thanks, y'all. :)

ShannanB said...

Gina -
Congrats on the new job. I work with Children's and they are wonderful! Nothing feels better than knowing the work you do is helping a child and their family. I am sure that you will knock their socks off.

Shannanb

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Gina. Cin's loss is Children's gain!