Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Almost Famous

I don't want to brag or anything, but the Best Reporter in Ohio, my former colleague Greg Korte, calls my recent Bob Dylan concert post "eloquent" on his blog and says I "get" Bob.

I'm certain I've never been given a higher compliment. Especially not from the Best Reporter in Ohio.

I also might mention that Korte is practically BFF with my pop culture writer idol Chuck Klosterman, who just so happened to write one of my favorite books of all time, Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

Which is almost as cool as being named Best Reporter in Ohio.

4 comments:

Brian K said...

I LOVED Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs. The chapter on Saved by the Bell changed my life. Recently started Fargo Rock City, though haven't had much time to devote to it.

I also really enjoy his SPIN columns, but he's not nearly as good on ESPN.com.

Brian
TheLifeOfDad.com

Gregory said...

I don't want to say that Cocoa Puffs is overrated, because it clearly put Chuck on the map.

To borrow a Klosterman conceit, Cocoa Puffs perfectly accurately rated. But some of his other stuff is underrated by comparison. Chuck Klosterman IV, now in paperback (Scribner, $15), is really an updated version of Cocoa Puffs-like essays. But my personal favorite is Killing Yourself to Live (and not just because I'm in it). Also, keep an eye out for his brilliant first novel, to be published next year. Which, I predict, will be both overrated and underrated at the same time.

Fargo Rock City was overrated, except for the part that compares Guns N' Roses Lies to the synoptic gospels.

To Brian: Check out Chuck's essay on ESPN.com today on why the NBA is always in trouble. (And note the slam on the Bengals.)

Okay, that's enough about Chuck. I have to go to Columbus in the morning to pick up my big award.

Gina said...

I do love Chuck IV, mostly because they're excellent exmaples of great magazine writing.

I'll pick up Killing Yourself to Live next time I'm at Joseph-Beth.

And he has a novel coming out?! Exciting!

Btw, can I touch your award? Just a little bit? Like one tiny little touch?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't think so. No offense. I just don't want your fingerprints all over the faux crystal.