Saturday, August 06, 2016

It Exists


I thought Jess was joking when she said the cheese plate at Bouquet is called The Motherboard. 

I thought she meant she called it the motherboard because it was the mother lode of cheese and meat or something. Some hyperbole to go along with our happy hour on Friday.  

She wasn't joking. It is called that, and it is the mother lode.    

Four cured meats, five cheeses... 'a multitude of accompaniments,' the menu says. 

Sure, Bouquet offers other Charcuterie plates. But please, but why would you get those when there is The Motherboard.

Jess's urban farm supplies Bouquet (and others) with some of their locally grown vegetables, including squash blossoms. Though Friday's squash blossoms didn't come from Yogi and the Farmer, we still had to have an order.   

Bouquet stuffs them with parmesan mousse and fries them, then serves them with cherry tomatoes, summer squash and chive emulsion. I could have eaten 20 of them, easily. (They come in orders of two.)

They should call them crack blossoms.

Truth be told, whenever we get squash blossoms in our farm-share, I give them to the neighbor. I had never in my life heard of eating squash blossoms before, and I hadn't eaten any of them until Friday night. 

I didn't know what I was missing. 

Before we knew it happy hour had turned into happy hours and it was it 8 o'clock already. (Thankfully I was DVRing the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremonies.) 

If you're looking for a spot in the Cov though, I highly recommend a seat at the bar at Bouquet and the Motherboard. And don't forget the side of squash blossoms.
 



Also, I'm a bit on a roll in Covington recently. 

Last week I was supposed to meet friends at Otto's but after some confusion with the reservation, we ended up at Lisse instead. Lisse is the brand new steakhouse in the old Chez Nora spot, and the transformation is spectacular. (Gone is the ratty old carpet and sewer smell, replaced with modern fixtures and a bright, clean look.)

They hadn't had their grand opening yet but already it was packed with reservations and folks at the bar. Since we weren't really looking to spend a small fortune steak that night, we opted for appetizers, salads and a gigantic bowl of mac and cheese to share. Good stuff.

No comments: