|I don't know why he complains when I take pictures of him. Obviously I ensure that we both look great.|
Today is the four year anniversary of when Ray and I met.
We had brunch at Coffee Emporium in OTR, next door to where he lived at the time. It was a white hot occasion, marked by me wearing jeans and a t-shirt (is there any better way to make a first impression?) and Ray was wearing a pea green zip-up that I still make fun of.
I asked him, 'Are you going to a track meet after this?'
I sure am charming!
I made a fleeting reference to this auspicious occasion in a blog post that weekend called That Was Fun.
From the post:
Sunday at brunch I grossly over-syruped my waffle and learned that my worst injury is a "chick injury." And if Jack White were to wail on his guitar and come bleeding from his fingers into my apartment, the drops of blood dripping onto my hardwood floor would form into the shape of Jesus, holding a guitar.Those were the highlights of Ray and I's first face to face conversation apparently. He said I had a "chick injury," which I'm not sure now what we were even referring to, and I obviously talked about my love of Jack White, who even bloodied, is awesome.
Sounds about right.
I'm surprised I ever saw Ray again given that he said I had a "chick injury." But he was funny and cute, which can get you a long way in life really. And he told me his condo next door had a rooftop terrace with a grill, and I thought I'd look real good up there that summer sunning myself and eating hamburgers. (And indeed, I did.)
Over the last four years I've occasionally kept track of the funny things Ray has said to me, in addition to insulting my "chick injury."
In honor of our anniversary, here they are:
- I know yoga is no joke and all, but I don’t think you should tell people that you have a yoga injury.
- Have you ever noticed that chicks who are really into horses have hair that is way too long?
- You aggravate the hell out of me! Being mad at me, needing tissues, demanding tea, taking my photo all the time!
- I don't claim to know a lot about housing and infrastructure, but I know a firetrap shithole when I see one.
- Are you feeling a Reds game tomorrow night? It might be kinda nice to drink an overpriced beer, eat some stale nachos, watch a ballgame and bail when we get bored.
- If we were broke up and you texted me a year later, hours before you’re supposed to get married to someone else and said, ‘I’m in over my head, come get me,’ I’d come get you. But I’d still be pissed you almost married someone else.
- You know, I don’t think I ever felt teen angst. I never felt put upon or confused or ill-at-ease. I just wanted to get the hell out of Greenville, Pennsylvania.
- I don’t why they call them boyfriend sweaters because this doesn’t look like anything I would wear.
- Gina, I would walk through hell in gasoline underwear for you. But if you asked me to drive back from New Mexico when there are perfectly good planes, we’d be in a big fight.
- General Tso's is the bomb. It's fried chicken with sugar sauce on it.
- We cannot ever break-up. You have to love me forever because there is no way we'll ever be able to get all the furniture out of this house. The dressers barely made it through the window. We just have to stay together until the end.
- It looks like the Easter Bunny took a pastel dump in here.
- I swear to god that place was a Superfund site. We drove all the way to Indiana to pay $8 for a JTM burger that made us sick and a packet of Swiss Miss with some lukewarm water. They just handed us the packet and told us to put the water on it ourselves. Plus, it was the shittiest hayride ever. ...God I loved that place.
Everyone should be so lucky to have a Ray.
Happy anniversary to us!