Sunday, January 21, 2018

I Have Questions



Did you know we sometimes keep a dinner diary? I got the idea from Dinner A Love Story blog a few years ago. We were hot on it for a while, mostly to keep ourselves from eating out too much, but we go in cycles. The last entry we ate frozen cheese tortellini and broccoli. It probably wasn't very good. I'm steering the wagon back to the journal though because I got a meal kit from Kroger today and I consider that hardcore cooking, so I need to write it down.

Speaking of dinner, have you tried the Prep + Pared meal kits from Kroger? We've tried some over the last year or so. Some of it's very good, some of it I didn't care for. It's always worth a shot though, and makes dinner easy and mindless. I've liked the Japanese bowl and the honey mustard glazed chicken. But we didn't love the chimichurri steak. (It took forever to cook and there wasn't really enough for both of us.) 



Japanese "inspired" beefbowl. Big fans.
Chimichurri steak... where's the beef? 


What about Clicklist? Thank God for Clicklist. I haven't had to walk into a grocery store in over a year, and it's been the best year ever. Except that one time when I ended up with a gallon of glass cleaner and a bottle of hoisin sauce, they always get my order right. 

I am not being paid by Kroger to write things, by the way. But if Kroger does want to pay me, that'd be great. Especially since they owe me $6 for a box of leaky Splenda from last week.
 I can't get my $6 back because you have to go into the store (!!!) to a cashier for refunds and to hell with that. 

You're missing the whole point of Clicklist by making people do that, Kroger.

Do you follow the Cincinnati Zoo on Instagram? Omg, the red pandas, amirite?! I know Fiona gets all the ink — literally, she has a book — and they threw her a 1st birthday party, and her dad died, and everyone loves an underdog story, (er, underhippo story?), but people, the red pandas!



Aren't they cutest things ever? Don't you feel like they are getting shafted?! They are essentially kitten/bear/raccoon/pandas — all of your fave animals combined! I am trying to do exceptionally good in this life so I can come back as one in the next. 

If the Cincinnati Zoo doesn't throw them a birthday party (the fact that I don't even know when their bdays are is a travesty) then I will throw them one myself. Who's in?! Kola, Micu, Lin, Auntie Gina is coming for you! (Kola loves apples, according to IG, so bring some to the party, ok?) 

The zoo is missing a real opportunity for another internet sensation here. I demand answers, zoo.

Have you read Into Thin Air? I read it ages ago (when I first started this blog) and reviewed it here then. I absolutely loved it. I had a voucher for a free audiobook and since I'm pretty lukewarm on audiobooks (I usually think the actors who narrate them are just that, actors, and therefore terrible readers and storytellers), I got Into Thin Air since I already knew I loved it. Given Ray and I were spending an inordinate amount of time driving over the holiday, I figured it'd be a good distraction. 


Oh man. I was so sad when it was over, just like I was sad when the book was over. It's narrated by Philip Franklin, whoever that is, but he does a spectacular reading of it. I was reminded of some of the horror I'd forgotten, which left me driving down the highway with my mouth agape and eyes wide open in shock. It's beautiful, horrifying and amazing. 

I often didn't want to get out of my car it was so good. "Oh, you want over? Sure, come on over! Oh, you too? Slide on in there, I'm in no hurry!" Into Thin Air, making me a nicer, calmer driver since November 2017. 




And can we talk about Beck Weathers? Geezus man. That poor bastard. Go read the book (or listen to it) so we can talk about him specifically, then wax morality on those who helped and those who didn't. I have very specific thoughts on this that I need to share while drinking tea in a bookstore, okay? Let me know when you're ready. 

Ray and I finished the audiobook last night before dinner at Dewey's. As soon as we got home I made him watch several YouTube documentaries of Everest disasters and an interview with Beck Weathers

I feel certain if I lived in Texas I'd hound him until he agreed to meet me for coffee so I could talk to him about him. I'm sure he'd be fine with it.

No comments: