Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Explain This To Me


I wake up each morning between 2 and 2:30 and can't fall back asleep until about 5 am.

Not awake thinking of anything in particular. Not worried about anything, not stressing. Just not sleeping.

I Googled this new-to-me phenomenon today and one of the suggestions to bide your time while you wait to get drowsy again is to read a 'not too thrilling book.'

I guess I could read Eat, Pray, Love again. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone but basically she eats, she prays and she loves.)

She also annoys. So I don't want to be awake and irritated.

This is what made me think of Ray's book Sprinkler Hydraulics.




I noticed it sitting on his desk when we first started dating and I couldn't believe it was a real book. Sprinkler Hydraulics is a thing? Plus, it has this cool, 1980s cover and you just don't see that anymore.

The thrill stopped there.

Says one reviewer: Harold was not only brilliant for understanding sprinkler hydraulics but for being able to convey the message. He also gives some invaluable tables for converting pipe sizes to ease calcs of telescoping systems. 

Zzzzzz.

No comments: